Friday, December 7, 2018

Doing Good with my Degree

 
Coming into graduate school and throughout this experience, I have always envisioned that after completing my degree, I would want to use my skills and experience in the sports industry or the nonprofit sector. 

As I near the end of my grad school journey, I still envision myself using my skills in one of these industries, but what I really want to do is use my degree to make a difference in peoples’ lives and I am even more inspired to do this work after my experiences during this semester. 

In my Communication and Social Change class, we have talked about social change campaigns that have influenced change on many issues, ranging from animal cruelty to education issues to sexual assault and so many more.  My professor for this class is very passionate about this area of communication work, which has made this class super interesting and has inspired me to want to do this kind of work in some way!  In this class, our semester-long project has been to put together a communication campaign to combat a social change issue of our choice.  Over the last two weeks, my classmates and I presented our topics and everyone in my class has shined a light on so many different issues…some of which I never knew about.  I knew my own topic, which is the low literacy reading rates among low income youth in the United States, was an issue, but didn’t understand how prevalent the problem was until I started researching the issue for the project. 

My internship at Everybody Wins DC has also inspired me.  Getting to see and hear directly from mentors and students about how their experience in the organization’s Power Lunch program has left a lasting impression on me!  Throughout my internship, I have been able to share stories and quotes from these mentors and students about how this program has directly impacted their lives and share them on Everybody Wins DC’s social media platforms.  One student was so excited about reading with her mentor that she said called it “funner than recess!”  Another student said she will always think of her mentors when she reads and re-reads a book that she picked out at one of our book distribution events.  It happens to be the next book in a series that she has been reading with her mentors.  These stories just warm my heart!

I hope that wherever my career takes me, whether if it’s in the sports industry, in the nonprofit world or maybe some other field, that I am able to make a positive impact on people!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing Good with my Degree

  Coming into graduate school and throughout this experience, I have always envisioned that after completing my degree, I would want to u...