Saturday, February 10, 2018

An Awesome Networking Opportunity...

Last semester, I applied for and was accepted into the SOC Alumni Mentor program where students are matched up with prominent AU alums who work in the communications field.  After turning in my application in the middle of October, I found out who my Alumni mentor was right before Thanksgiving. 

And my mentor could not have been a better match for me…He works in production at MLB Network and NHL Network.  To say I was excited about who my mentor was and where he worked is an understatement! 

He is very down-to-earth and aside from getting career advice from him, it has been easy to talk about baseball and his experience as a student at AU.
Over winter break, I traveled up to New Jersey, where the studios are located, to meet my mentor and take a tour of the studios.  After a little bit of an adventurous train trip up there, which involved a broken-down train and having to switch to another train, I finally made it there.  The studios are in the middle of a business park in Secaucus, which is right across the Hudson River from New York City.  Not exactly the glamorous place you would think a major TV studios would be. 


The reception area was outfitted with large, comfy chairs with both the MLB Network and NHL Network logos stitched into them.



After checking in and getting my visitor name tag, my mentor came down to meet me and we proceeded to go up to his office.  As we walked to his office, I immediately noticed how large the studios and office space was. They even have their own cafeteria and fitness center onsite. 


During my visit, he gave me a tour of the studios, which are spread between two buildings.  There is a big board, which lists each show, the anchors, any special guests for the day, etc.  I also got to see the different sets that are used for both MLB Network and NHL Network shows.  The sets are so much smaller in person than they appear to be when watching the shows on TV.  





My mentor also introduced me to several people who work in various departments for both networks.  I also spent time with the person who oversees marketing and promotions, which includes the social media content and branding for both networks.  It was great to talk with her about her career path and a little bit about what goes into overseeing social media there since that is the area that I am most interested in working in.

I also sat in the control room during one of the NHL Network show broadcasts and got to see the behind-the-scenes work that goes into putting on a show.  Most people don’t realize the number of people who work off camera in television and throughout my visit, I got to see just how many people it takes to put on a show.  Just in the control room for the one broadcast, there were at least 10 directors and producers.
 
I did have to pinch myself a few times to make sure this was really happening and I was really getting a behind-the-scenes look at MLB Network and NHL Network.  It was definitely one of the coolest experiences I have ever had!


I am excited to see where this program leads me, the contacts that I make and all that I learn from my mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing Good with my Degree

  Coming into graduate school and throughout this experience, I have always envisioned that after completing my degree, I would want to u...