Monday, October 30, 2017

A Busy Couple of Weeks...


So, the last three weeks have been a little crazy for me…hence the lack of updates.  Had a couple of tests and quizzes, two presentations, and a paper due…I am glad that is all behind me and now I can take a little bit of a breather before the next batch of assignments come!

I also registered for my spring semester classes last week. Surprisingly, I always find this a little stressful.  Of course, I was in one of the last groups of graduate students to register, so I sat there watching my classes either fill up or almost fill up before I even had the chance to register.  Luckily, I was able to get into my capstone class and one elective class without a problem. I am currently on the waitlist for two other electives.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I get into one of them!  If not, I will take a different class that is not necessarily on the top of my list, but would still be really interesting. 


After nine weeks of classes, here are some of my general thoughts and observations on my grad school experience so far: 
  
-Grad school is all about time management
I have so many more responsibilities compared to my undergrad years…a demanding class load, graduate assistantship, part-time job, volunteer work and having some sort of a social life.
  
-Get to know your professors
From day one, including all the orientation and prospective student events that I attended, they have emphasized this so much.  I have really made a conscious effort to go to my professors’ office hours even if it’s just to ask a simple question about an assignment.  From my experience, they are really willing to help and get to know their students outside the classroom.  They also encourage us to meet as many professors in the School of Communication even if you don’t have them for a class.

-Make time for yourself and give yourself a break from schoolwork  
This is a BIG one!  It is also something that I have had to work really hard at.  I get so wrapped up in my schoolwork that I forget to give myself a break.  Even a little break re-energizes me in getting through a long list of assignments and projects.

1 comment:

Doing Good with my Degree

  Coming into graduate school and throughout this experience, I have always envisioned that after completing my degree, I would want to u...