Thursday, March 22, 2018

Spring Semester Is Flying By...

And just like that, spring semester is already more than halfway over.  This semester has brought a different set of challenges than fall semester.  While I spent most of the fall re-acclimating myself to being back in school and figuring out how grad school worked, spring semester has been more about adjusting to a new class and work schedule and starting to focus on my internship search for the summer.



Having evening classes is still a challenge for me.  My days are longer now with working at my graduate assistantship during the day and then trying to squeeze in some homework throughout the day before having class in the evening.  By the time, I leave campus in the evening, I am absolutely wiped out.  Sometimes I don’t know how I balance all of this.



Another top priority for me this semester has been applying for summer internships and that takes up a lot of my time. My search has been focused on positions with sports organizations in the DC area and with the many non-profits that are located in this area.  I have definitely done my share of job and internship searching over the years, but this time around has an extra challenge with it.  With having several years of work experience, I am also having to sell the experience I already have but also tell them why they should hire me for an internship position.

 

One similarity with last semester is I am still trying to find the right balance of handling the demands of school and giving myself a break and focusing on things outside of school.  I can’t say I’ve gotten better at that part.  Even over spring break, all I could think about was the schoolwork that I wanted to get accomplished.  While I wanted to make good use of the week to get work done, I also set a goal of reading one book for pleasure during the week off and just laying around a little bit and doing absolutely nothing. 
 
We also had a snow day yesterday and that was super nice to have the day to do schoolwork and rest up a little bit without having to worry about going to campus and being in class.  It was also the first time we’ve had more than a dusting of snow in DC this winter.  I love snow, so I was pretty happy about FINALLY getting that snow!
 

In the last few weeks, there have also been a few prospective students who have sat in on some of my classes.  It is so weird to think that I was in their position exactly one year ago when I came down to American to sit in on a class before deciding to go to school here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing Good with my Degree

  Coming into graduate school and throughout this experience, I have always envisioned that after completing my degree, I would want to u...